Friday, September 17, 2004

Wild Weekend
"A fashion is nothing but an induced epidemic." - George Bernard Shaw
On Saturday night, I have the Aussie Million satellite on Party Poker. That should be one of the biggest events I ever played in online. I'm itching to go to Australia.

I got a few bets down on the Bloody Yanks in this weekend's Ryder Cup golf matches. I was watching Dan Harrington's cousin play against Tiger Woods and Phil Mickleson (in between flipping back and forth between CNBC and Dawson's Creek). Of course it's always an event when the Yankees go heads up with the Red Sox. This weekend's series will have an October-post-season flavor to the the greatest rivalry in baseball. There's a lot of tough college games this weekend. Auburn-LSU could be a thriller. Week 2 of the NFL has a few trap games... like that Atlanta-Rams game. The local bookies (Vinny and the infamous Cologne Brothers) are putting the Hotlanta at a 3 point favorite. My brother smelled a trap right away. I'm tempted but I won't go there. Instead let's double up on my Jets! They never play well on the road in California, but after last week's glimpse of a rejuvenated Curtis Martin, I can't help but think he's going to run all over them and show LDT that he's still the dude. I'm 1-0 in my fantasy football league ($2200 to the winner) and Uncle Jodd's Band is 4th in points overall. Last year we only won two games so we're excited about our victory in week one.

Next weekend, if you haven't heard, has the potential to be one of those epic adventures where at least someone goes to a hospital or jail... or both. Al Can't Hang has his yearly monster party. He's be telling me about it since May. I had my calendar marked since then. OK, that's not entirely truthful. I don't own a wall calendar. But, I've been carrying around a piece of paper in my pocket that says, "Al Can't Hang Party 9.25 Philly." So far, we have confirmations from Iggy, Boy Genius, and Carter from Cubanlinks.org. I heard that Sean might be dropping by... as well as the Grubmiester.

Before BG and Iggy committed, I already made plans to hit the Borgata in Atlantic City with Al and Mrs. Hang. Now, Iggy can bankroll me into the $30-60 game. Just kidding. We'll be combining bankrolls and staking Mrs. Cant Hang.

My brother can't make it for the festivities. He's got a friend in from outta town and he has to show him the city. He's bummed out. The only poker bloggers he got to meet were Felicia and Glenn.

How many bloggers have I met? Well, I met Felicia and Glenn in Vegas in April. I met Ugarte (and through him Signor Ferrari and Rick Blaine from Rick's Cafe and Asphnxma from Riding the F Train.) I met Daddy from Snail Trax at one of the Phish shows in Indiana. On my way back from Phish tour, I stopped by Boy Genius' home game and met Lord Geznikor and one of the brother's of BG. Hopefully I'll meet Monte Christo soon. I had a chance to meet up with Poker Chronicles and Double As on Thursday, but never had the time to go down to Atlantic City. Speaking of which, I'm still waiting to hear how Riding the F Train fared yesterday. He played in the $1500 NL event at the Borgata.

More Wacky Adventures in Stud

Felicia mentioned some simple, but great advice in my comments. "Patience is another word for Stud." I've taken many of her suggestions to heart. Within the first few minutes of meeting her last April she told me that I played too many hands in tournaments. This time, I applied her suggestion towards cracking the low limit Stud tables on Party Poker. I had another 70 BB winning session. I would have won more if I wasn't beaten on two seventh street flush suckouts. I lost a monster pot with rolled up Queens. I never paired the board before he hit his flush. Overall, I tightened up my starting hands... and I still think I could play a lot more tighter!

I played a $10 Stud SNG earlier with poor results. I was third in chips at one point and I folded hand after hand until I found 6K/K and limped in. I was pumped by fifth street with: 6K/KAA and heads up with the chipleader, a loose cannon who played every hand to the river. He had xx/10-7-5 with no possible flushes. I never caught another A or K and had to settle with my two pair. He caught running cards on sixth and seventh streets to hit his straight. I got bubbled out in 5th place. Stud SNGs are eight-handed and the top 4 get paid. I'm improving every session and getting a better feel for my opponents. I am putting them on hands a lot easier than before. Playing Stud as compared to Omaha hi/lo has done wonders to my confidence and bankroll (outside of hold'em). I feel positive about my Stud game, whereas in Omaha hi/lo, I feel as though I'm constantly struggling just to break even.

Late last night I bubbled out of an Omaha hi/lo SNG. Late in the game, it was four handed. I was second in chips. With Ad2d3cKc, I flopped the Wheel... only to lose to a higher straight on the river and chop the low pot with two other players. The next hand, as the short stack, I moved all-in. I was booted with AAJJ, double suited. I flopped a set of Jacks and a nut flush draw. I lost to a straight. Bubbled out again.

Hilton Sisters screwed me royally last night in a NL ring game. I lost to pocket 88s when the guy hit his set on the flop. They always make me scream somehow.

Motherless Child

I recently commented on Maudie's site that I think she might be my illegitimate mother. Here's how she responded:
Pauly I can't think of a better illegitimate child to have than you... I'm sure my girls would allow an addition to the menagerie as long as you follow Maudie's rules:

- Smoking (all kinds) outside.
- Take out the trash.
- Do your homework.

And at least introduce me to the sluts ...er... girlfriends.
Hmmm. Paris isn't exactly the kind of girl you bring home to meet Aunt Maudie. Now, that Katie Holmes... she's a whole different story.

Recent Poker Playing Music Included...
1. Charlie Hunter
2. Trey Anastasio Band
3. The Grateful Dead
4. Toots & the Maytals
5. John Coltrane

No comments:

Post a Comment